Your kids are missing out and will probably hate you if they find out.
I’ve always been hesitant to visit the park in the summer, because I hear it’s crowded. We got there on a Monday morning at about 10, and there were only four cars in the huge lot. I think this is something moms tell other moms to keep the park to themselves.
It wasn’t super humid when we went, but I’m sure on a perfect Saturday or Sunday the place can get crammed.
The park is built on two acres and is designed for children of all ages and accessibility needs. The ground is padded and the toys are low enough to the ground that my fear-of-heights two-year-old is so happy.
A carousel is the centerpiece of the park and is open daily in the summertime.
Many of the toys focus on stimulating the imagination, educational games, and building new skills.
When we went, my daughter enjoyed the maze and practicing her balance with other kids on the four-person teeter-totter. She stepped in and out of the bus I don’t know how many times. The swings– my girl loves swings.
It’s the sort of place I feel OK letting her run and not hold my hand. She didn’t need my help for anything, well, except for pushing her for 15 minutes on a swing.
We packed a lunch and ate it in the pavilion at the park.
When time to leave, one of us left kicking and screaming, and fell asleep the second we pulled into our neighborhood. The sign of a fun morning at the park.
Clemyjontri Park Information
- 6317 Georgetown Pike, McLean, VA 22101
- Open daily from 7 a.m. to dusk
- The carousel is open from 9:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. on weekdays and 9:30 a.m. -6:30 p.m. on weekends in the summertime. From September 3-October 27 it will be open weekends only from 9:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Rides are $1.75
- An overflow parking lot is across the street from the Clemyjontri at Langley Fork Park.
- My tips: don’t bother bringing a bike, it’s not allowed in the play area (there’s a trail around the park and others nearby). Wear a lot of sunscreen, there’s minimal shade at the park. Pack snacks and bring drinks, your kids are sure to play hard.
- Website: Clemyjontri Park and Friends of Clemyjontri Park