Who doesn’t love to celebrate the holidays with a real tree? If your family is like mine and an artificial tree simply won’t do, you can find lots of fresh Noble Firs and more around the Valley. Follow these tips for a safer season:
- Before you buy a tree, check it for freshness. A heavier tree means it’s full of water and therefore fresher. If you bounce it lightly on the ground you shouldn’t see many needles fall off. Also, make a fresh cut on the trunk of the tree.
- Avoid placing it near a fireplace, heat duct or windows, as the reflected heat can be drying.
- Keep the tree in a stand filled with water.
- Use new strands of lights that are functioning properly.
- Check the rating on extension cords and don’t use more than the recommended wattage.
- It’s better to be safe than sorry so discard even well-watered trees after four weeks.
- You’ll sleep better at night if you do these three things: 1) install carbon monoxide alarms, 2) check the batteries in smoke alarms, and 3) make a family fire escape plan, identifying at least two emergency exits.
WHERE TO BUY REAL CHRISTMAS TREES
Fresh trees are shipped from the growers within 48 hours of cutting. Find trees in sizes 3’ to 15’. Delivery is available. Call 602.938.6666 for details.
High quality trees delivered several times a week from their Oregon farm.
Find a wide selection of trees in sizes 2′ to 60′ as well as wreaths and other home decorations. Delivery, setup and removal service are available.
Location: 5726 N. 75th Avenue, Glendale 85303
(A quarter mile south of Bethany Home Road on the west side of 75th Avenue)
Hours: Open daily December 1 – 24 from 9am to 9pm. Closes at 5pm on Christmas Eve.
Tree varieties: Douglas Fir, Grand Fir, Noble Fir
On December 1st & 8th from 12pm to 4pm get your picture with Santa and purchase hot chocolate, apple cider, kettle corn and S’mores by the bonfire.
Enjoy hot cocoa and cookies while you shop. Also… Drop and Shop on December 15th from 10am to 2pm. Leave the kids at the farm while you Christmas shop. For ages 5 and up, $10 per child and you must bring your own lunch.
MOTHER NATURE’S FARM
Location: 1663 E. Baseline Road, Gilbert 85233
Hours: Monday through Thursday 3pm to 9pm; Friday, Saturday & Sunday 9am to 9pm. Closes at 3pm on Christmas Eve.
Tree varities: Pre-cut Douglas Fir and Noble Fir trees. Or, have an old-fashioned Christmas and cut down a live Elderica pine.
Also visit Mother Nature’s Farm for Snow Day on December 8th from 9am until dark. Bring your mittens and a snow tube and slide down the snow hill! For the price of admission ($7 for kids and $3 for adults), enjoy the snow hill, hayride, maze, air bounce and petting zoo. Also available for purchase on the weekends are hotdogs, popcorn, cotton candy, chips, soda and hot drinks.