Memorial Day is over. It’s unofficially, officially summer in my world.
I am a warm-weather body, and I love it. I am a summer baby, my husband is a summer baby, and my baby is a summer baby. We are naturally made for summer.
I love the popsicles and sticky fingers, the sound of the ice cream man, the chalk figures decorating the sidewalk, the smell of barbeques, the hikes among the wildflowers and fireworks on the 4th of July. We love summer.
My Summer Bucket List
- Find (or make) a popsicle Olivia will eat
- Try three new BBQ places in DC (HERE, here, and here)
- Go to a Nats game as a family
- Go to a farmer’s market for more than breakfast
- Go on a walking tour from my favorite DC tour book (Washington on Foot)
- Have a picnic at LBJ Memorial Grove
- Watch the 4th of July fireworks from the National Mall
- Go camping at our favorite state park
- Play outside everyday for an entire week
- Visit a National Park I haven’t been to
- Can something
- Eat something I grow (meaning I have to be diligent and grow something)
- Throw a birthday party
- Make our deck feel like part of our home
- Go to the beach
- Turn off the TV for an entire week
- Take a parent/child swim class
- Watch a movie at the Rosslyn Outdoor Film Festival
- Have a good old fashioned summer potluck with friends
- Hike in the mountains
I find that if I make a list, I’m more likely to not end up disappointed at the end of the summer. I typically try to squeeze too much into the few months of summer. With the humidity and traveling, I’m often left feeling overscheduled. This list is waaay simplified compared to previous summer bucket lists.
Here’s to hoping I’m more successful this time around!
More DC Summer Bucket List Ideas
- Head over to the Mt. Vernon Trail for a walk, run or bike ride along the Potomac
- Visit Fort McHenry for a picnic in Baltimore
- Check out the area’s different water parks, spraygrounds and pools
- Make a day trip or weekend out of Hersheypark
- Visit one of the area’s National Parks for some outdoor fun
- Visit the National Zoo
- Hit up a baseball game to support your favorite local team