I don’t love the taste of store bought pancake mix so the perfect solution is this homemade whole wheat pancake mix. I love using this because the pancakes are hot and fresh and I only have to add water! It is soooo easy! I also own a wheat grinder so I buy the wheat and grind it myself, which gives me control over what kind of flour I use. My kids like when I add mini chocolate chips or blueberries to the batter.
- 3 cups powdered milk
- 9 cups whole wheat flour (wheat that has been ground from soft white wheat…if you don’t have whole wheat flour from soft white wheat then you’ll need to use 7 cups whole wheat flour and 2 cups white flour)
- 1/3 cup baking powder
- 1 Tbsp salt
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients until well blended.
- Store in a large container with a tight fitting lid.
When I make this pancake mix I usually just add water and I don’t measure anything out. However the original recipe that my friend gave me says to add a little butter. Here is her recipe:
- 2 cups mix
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp oil or melted butter
- Preheat skillet.
- Blend together mix and water, using a whisk.
- Pour a small amount of batter onto the hot skillet. When the edges start to look dry and bubbles form on the top, turn pancakes over.
- When golden brown on the other side, remove and serve.