Toilet paper rolls are something everyone has - they're the craft supply that keeps on giving. Instead of tossing them in the recycle bin, here are a few creative ways to re-purpose these simple cardboard rolls. What’s even better is that most of these crafts are great for the kids to do too!
Upcycled Toilet Paper Roll Crafts
All you need for this is some peanut butter, bird seed, twine or ribbon, and of course, a toilet paper roll. Here's how to make it in three easy steps:
- Take your toilet paper roll and cover the outside with peanut butter.
- Then, spread out the bird seed, and roll the peanut butter covered tube in the bird seed until it is completely coated.
- Finally, put the piece of twine or ribbon through the tube and hang it up outside.
Watch the birds enjoy their new feeder!
Gift or Favor Box
Decorate a toilet paper roll with pretty paper or paint. Then, simply fold the ends in on each side to close the holes (think pillow-box). These are great for small gifts or favors. They could even be used to hand out on Halloween when filled with candy!
To create a homemade fly strip, you will need a toilet paper roll, tape (double-sided tape is easiest to use), a spritz of apple cider vinegar, and a string. Cover the roll with tape, then lightly spray it with a small amount vinegar to attract the pests. Hang with a string and watch those bugs get stuck!
Fine Motor Skills Activity
Check out our favorite fine motor skills craft activity - Fine Motor Skills Man! This fun way to upcycle a toilet paper roll tube is perfect for preschoolers and those who need a little more practice with their cutting skills.
Use toilet paper rolls to create containers for seedlings. By cutting a toilet paper roll in half, it becomes the perfect size for a seedling.
Fill the roll with soil and dampen before sowing in your seed. For multiple seedlings, try arranging the tubes in a small container. After the seedling begins to sprout, you can replant the whole thing in the ground as the toilet paper roll will decompose over time.
This is a great project if you have multiple toilet paper rolls. You will need several rolls, a shoebox, and whatever you want to decorate them with (paint, paper, etc).
- Cut your tubes to various sizes.
- Paint or decorate the rolls and shoebox.
- Organize the rolls upright in the shoebox so they all fit in there snugly.
- Add pens, pencils, scissors, paperclips, and whatever else is on your desk into your new organizer!
What are some of your favorite ways to upcycle or recycle toilet paper rolls? Share your ideas with us in the comments below!