We happen to have a fondness for Groundhog Day as good ol' Punxsutawney Phil is from Pennsylvania. Of course, when he predicts six more weeks of winter we're not exactly thrilled.
This year we'll be celebrating Phil's emergence from his burrow with a quick and easy Groundhog Day craft for kids. A variation of the traditional cup-using craft, this one is much easier to store and send home with little learners. Have fun!
Groundhog Day Craft for Kids
Ages: 2+ (with adult supervision)
Time: 15 minutes
- Groundhog Template
- Crayons or markers
- Child scissors
- Glue Stick
- Craft stick
- Green construction paper
- Download, print out, color, and cut out the groundhog template.
- Glue the craft stick between the two groundhog ovals.
- Fold a piece of green construction paper in half (hamburger style) and cut out two triangles.
- Glue the side edges of the triangles together leaving the wide and small ends open.
- Cut strips in the wide edge of the triangles about one half-inch down to simulate grass.
- Slide the craft stick with the groundhog between the two triangles.
- Slide the groundhog up and down to pretend he is popping up out of his burrow. Have fun!