by Brittany Kelly
What items will you need in order to start using essential oils? Is there anything that you must have before you start? Although what you plan to do with your essential oils will ultimately determine what supplies you will need, there are a few basic items that you might find yourself needing.
WHAT YOU NEED TO GET STARTED USING ESSENTIAL OILS
- Essential oils – You will want to start out with a few high-quality, 100% pure essential oils. If you plan to use essential oils in your cooking, you will also want to make sure that you are using Food Grade quality, which are approved by the FDA for consumption. Although you can select whichever essential oils you’d like, some of the most popular choices include lavender, Frankincense, orange, lemon, rosemary, geranium, tea tree, and peppermint. As you become more experienced with essential oils, you will likely build your collection even further.
- Carrier oils – Since you must always dilute essential oils before using, it’s important to invest in some carrier oils. This is what you will use to dilute your essential oils before using them topically, creating solutions, or in your cooking. Some great carrier oils to consider include coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, and avocado oil.
- Beeswax and shea butter – Although beeswax and shea butter aren’t always necessary to buy at first, they may be – depending on what you want to do with essential oils. If you plan to make any homemade lip balms or candles, you’ll need beeswax. Shea butter can also be used to make homemade lip balms and moisturizing creams.
- Glass bottles – When you begin making your own solutions, you will need to have a way to store them. Glass spray bottles are a good option. Not only can you use these when you create your own DIY cleaning solutions, but you can also use them for air fresheners or homemade body sprays.
- Measuring spoons – When your dilute your essential oils, you will need to have a way to measure them. Since not all essential oils are safe for consumption, you will want to keep these measuring spoons separate from the ones you cook with.
- Storage box – It’s important to keep your essential oils stored in a safe location. You will want to make sure your children and pets are unable to get into them. A storage box is a great way to keep them safe.
These are just some of the items you will want to include to get started using essential oils, but don’t stop here. You’ll probably find that once you get started you want to continue adding new things to your essential oil collection. If you’re reading this and already have one, do you see something we’re missing?