TOILET PAPER ROLL TRAIN CRAFT
Whether your kids love trains or they just love crafts, they will have a lot of fun creating this toilet paper roll train craft. This train is made up of all recycled materials, which makes it an inexpensive craft idea. If you love to up-cycle for crafts, check out these other 25 incredible toilet paper roll crafts.
I love to make DIY toys that keep the kids busy long after the craft is through. I thought this might be a craft we made and displayed for a while, but I was wrong. When we were done creating, my son made that train go choo-choo all throughout the house. He sat in the kitchen making it travel around him for a while. His legs, tables and chairs around the house became tunnels. This was a craft activity and a toy that resonated with my three year old.
MATERIALS NEEDED TO MAKE A TOILET PAPER ROLL TRAIN
- 6 Toilet Paper Roll Tubes
- 1 Skinny Cardboard Tube (I used the center of a roll of foil)
- 20 Lids (milk containers, Vitamin waters, Gatorade)
- Craft Paint
- Foam Brushes
- Hole Punch or Something to Make a Hole in the Cardboard Tube
- Hot Glue Gun
HOW TO MAKE A TRAIN OUT OF TOILET PAPER ROLLS
- Paint your cardboard tubes various bright colors. Cut C-shapes out of one of the tubes to create both the top of the engine and caboose. Paint those accordingly. Also cut a C-shape out of the skinny cardboard tube and paint it the same color as the engine. The C-Shape tubes will arch nicely around the toilet paper roll.
- Once dry, hot glue the tops of the engine and caboose in place. Also, hot glue four plastic lids on each cardboard tube as the wheels of your train.
- Punch small holes into the four “corners” of each tube. These are your attachment points for the yarn. Cut the yarn to length.
- Weave the thread through one tube and another tube to attach two tubes together. Tie a knot. Continue the process until all of the cars of the train are connected.
It’s time to play. I wonder if your children will have fun making their cardboard train choo-choo all around the house like mine did. Want more transportation activities for kids? Give these ones a try: 13 Clever Transportation Activities, DIY Car Mat, Paper Plane Landing Strip, 13 Fun Toy Car Activities, or this Paper Plate Magnet Track.