AKA Chinese Gift Exchange, Yankee Swap, and the White Elephant Gift Exchange, this is a game where any gift is fair game!
There are rules for this seemingly unruly game, though! Here are the usual rules:
- Everyone brings a gift valued at around the same amount (the amount is predetermined by the host) and everyone leaves with one gift.
- The first person starts by selecting a gift to unwrap from the gift pile.
- The next player has the option to “steal” the gift or open a new one. If the gift is stolen, the person who had their gift taken must unwrap another gift, or if later in the game, can choose any other unwrapped gift..
- The next person goes and can choose any unwrapped gift or to open a new one.
- This continues until all gifts have been unwrapped.
- If you have had possession of the same gift three times, it becomes yours and you and the gift are now out of the game!
Dirty Santa Gift Ideas
When it comes to Dirty Santa gift ideas, you need to think of things that anyone can enjoy. If you happen to pick something up that is a bit gender-specific, be sure to wrap it this way to indicate the gender. Here’s a handful of Dirty Santa gift ideas for you to consider:
Money Maze Gift Box Bank: Don’t be that guy who picks up a gift card last minute, and if you are, then you should definitely have a few of these on hand to add a little excitement! Make the recipient work a ball through a maze before this contraption will unlock to loot!
Babycakes Pop Maker: These little cake pop things have just been popping up all over town, so instead of spending a fortune to buy some, get a cake pop maker and make a gift basket of cake pops for the exchange, or toss this in instead!
Children’s Nativity Set: When it comes to any kind of Christmas gift giving, you truly cannot go wrong with a nativity set! This beautiful wooden set can become a child’s playset or be used as decoration–or both!
If there’s an even mix of adults and children, you can choose to have this game just for the adult gift-giving, do it all together, or have a separate Dirty Santa game for the kids, chaperoned by an adult, of course. Make this fun game a family tradition!