Nothing can prepare you for the way you will feel the moment you hold your baby in your arms for the first time. In that moment that, you realize that life as you know it will never be the same. How can such a tiny little human make such a huge difference? Here is a list of 7 ways your life changes, in positive and negative ways, when you become a dad!
- Alone time? What’s that? One of the hardest adjustments to make as a new dad is how every moment of the day seems to be scheduled around the needs of your new baby. It is important for you and your spouse to figure out a way to have a few moments to recoup and rejuvenate. Some hobbies may need to take the backseat as you learn to navigate this new adventure!
- You learn to roll with the punches. A newborn doesn’t understand your need to stick to a schedule. You may have a way you envisioned your day going only to have to completely change things up because you have to make a trip to the doctor. The plus side is, you learn to cope with the stresses of day-to-day life better. Have a schedule but be flexible – it’s healthy!
- Responsibility takes on a whole new meaning. You are responsible for the well being of another human being…for life! That’s some pretty heavy stuff. The decisions you make no longer just affect you, they impact the lives of your children as well.
- Your overall health improves. The upside of all this new responsibility is the structure it brings to your life. Who has time for staying up all night playing video games or nursing a hangover when you have a crying infant to take care of? Instead of watching the game on TV you may find yourself at the park or out for a walk. Yeah, you may miss being spontaneous but you are most likely making better choices with your life and your health reaps the benefits!
- Bills and more bills. You thought having a girlfriend was expensive? Ha. From diapers and bottles to clothes and doctor visits, the expenses just keep adding up. The key is to realize your kids are a blessing and totally worth the investment!
- Your social life changes. Not just where you go but who you go with – As a dad you find yourself drawn to people who are in a similar life stage as you. You want friends who will understand and not be upset when you can’t make it to play basketball until after the kids are in bed.
- You make a lot of sacrifices- but they are totally worth it. Sure your life has been flipped upside down and you feel like you are sacrificing everything from your time to your money. But when you see the joy on your child’s face after you hand them a little toy car or when you take them on a special trip to the park, it will all be worth it. Becoming a dad brings more love and happiness than you ever thought possible.